Friday, April 17, 2009

"The Storm" has arrived

Today Vince Cable’s book The Storm landed on my doormat. I decided to buy it although this is a challenge for both Vince and myself – as economics is definitely not my thing. I still don’t quite understand how spending £500 billion is saving the world. And I once had to drop out of Economics A-level classes when I simply did not have a clue what was going on.

As Chancellor in the last recession, Norman Lamont said that unemployment was ‘a price worth paying’ to keep inflation down. I was unemployed at the time. Was I being told that my regular collection of dole was patriotically helping out the economy? I remember thinking that if all the unemployed had got jobs, would that have sent inflation up and upset the Chancellor? So you can see that my economic knowledge was a bit basic.

The book has received good reviews, looks a good size and hopefully uses plain English so will let you know how I get on. Anyone out there read it and got some views?

No comments:

Post a Comment