Friday, November 2, 2012

Two Speeches For Two Events

On Friday 26 October at 10.50am, Adam Rowe, my best friend since our days at university together, died at the age of 42 after a long battle with liver disease. We have known each other for 24 years and it has been heartbreaking to see how he has struggled with his health over the last few years.

So, in case you were wondering why my blog has not been updated, despite being in the middle of a campaign, then this is the reason. It has put things into perspective.

This week I have been preparing for two speeches at two important events. On Sunday 4 November, the candidates for the London Liberal Democrats MEP nominations will all be attending a hustings. I have been preparing my presentation and there will be questions and discussions afterwards.

I generally enjoy these sort of things – such as participating in the debates at the last election. Unfortunately we don’t get to hear the presentations of other candidates (which I would have found interesting as they are a talented bunch) so I am looking forward to the panel discussions. Although I have plenty of ideas, I am always keen to hear others.

The other speech I have been preparing is with a considerably heavier heart. I have been asked to speak at Adam’s funeral on Friday 9 November at Kettering Crematorium.

Two different types of speech for two different events. One speech is to promote myself, the other will be to pay tribute to a lost friend. One speech I shall try to deliver with positivity and passion, the other I shall try to deliver without breaking down.

I hope both will be received well.

No comments:

Post a Comment